About Me

My photo
We are 5 llamas, 4 Angora goats, 6 chickens, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 2 humans. We live in beautiful Sams Valley, Oregon and enjoy gardening, animal concerts and small children.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Badger on the Mend and Funky Carrots

It's been so long since I've blogged that I hardly know where to begin, so I'll start with some good news. When we first got our new LGD Badger, he was thin as a rail but we thought he'd fill out with all the dog food to himself. I was trying to distant myself so that Badger would bond with the goats and not with me, and with all that beautiful fur we missed how really thin he had become. Apparently he had a nasty case of worms. Thank goodness for our neighbor and big animal vet (everyone needs one of them right next door :D) because he found the worms in time and gave him the cure. Now, thanks to lots of Puppy Chow and the occasional bowl of Chicken and Rice, Badger is acting like a new dog!


Yesterday we had our first "Six Egg Day", and since we only have six chickens that is quite the accomplishment! Everyone got watermelon rinds, leftover salad and last year's canned pumpkin..."Braaaaaaack!" That's chicken for "YUM"!






The barn is coming along very slow but fairly sure. Les has been busy with his business and I with mine, and it just seems like there is never time enough in the day. To top it off, Sugarfoot got a foxtail stuck in her eye (Bless our neighbor AGAIN), and we've been having to catch her three times a day and give her antibiotic ointment (I can't begin to explain how much fun THAT is), and she has decided that she definitely does not like the process. So the majority of my day is spent dreaming up new ways to cajole her into the catch pen. So far "goat grain" seems to be the winner, but sometimes even that doesn't work :(



I don't know what happened to my carrots this year. They are about 2" in diameter, which is fine. But they are also 2" long, so that they resemble little orange legos. If they grow at all, they are REALLY funky, like these two that have grown together. I named them Di and Les... Married ten years and still cuddling...awwwwwwwwwww!

1 comment:

Candy said...

What a beautiful dog. Glad he is doing better.